GiftWorks includes many common fields that are used to capture helpful tracking and management information. You will likely want to capture additional information that is specific to your organization. You can use this custom field setup to add new custom fields to GiftWorks.
To add custom fields, you need to first choose an Entity Type. The entity type is the item within GiftWorks that you want to add a custom field. The entity type options are:
Once you have chosen the Entity Type, you can add your custom field by clicking the Add New Field link. When adding a custom field, you’ll need to provide:
- Label - the text that informs that user what information they are entering. The field name.
- Type - the kind of information/data that you’re expecting. The types include:
- Textbox - basic text information up to 4000 characters.
- Checkbox - Yes/No information
- List - choose one item from a list of items
- Multilist - choose one or more items from a list of items
- Textarea - an area of text that is more than one line. Usually used to hold a longer sentence or paragraph of text.
- Note: for a list or a multilist type, you will need to define the list of items.
- Default Value - this is the value that your custom field will contain when adding a new entity.
- Group - you can assemble custom fields together into logical groups. Select the group that this custom field should be included. By default, all custom fields will be included in the “Other” group unless you define additional groups for custom fields (see below).
- Required - checking this box indicates that an entity can not be saved or updated without a valid entry for this custom field.
- Hidden - checking this box indicates that the custom field should not be visible to the user. This can be helpful if you want to stop using a custom field, but do not want to delete the custom field and lose all historical information.
After you’ve provided the information for your custom field, click the Add Field button.
You can delete a custom field by clicking the delete icon next to the custom field. You can also use the available icons to edit or hide the custom field. Note: Deleting a custom field will remove this field from all entities and all historical information will be lost.
Groups can be used to logically group/assemble custom fields. To create a group, click the Add New Group link. Provide a name for your group and click the check icon. Note: By default, all custom fields will appear in an “Other” group.
You can add a custom field to a group by clicking the plus (+) icon next to the group name. This will begin the process of adding a custom field and will pre-select the group name.
To delete a group, click the delete icon in the upper right corner of the group header area. Deleting a group will not delete the custom fields within the group but will return the fields to the “other” group.
If you have created multiple groups, you can rearrange the groups by clicking the group name and dragging and dropping it in relation to the other groups. If you have multiple custom fields within a group, you can click the custom field name and drag and drop it in relation to the other custom fields. Any changes you make to the layout of the custom fields will be saved automatically.